Monday 23 February 2009

Required Reading

One of the things I'm determined to do with my couple of weeks off is to squeeze in as much reading as possible. I will be indulging in catching up with lots of my favourite blogs (and updating my blog roll in the process), getting some crafty books out of the library plus doing some more "serious" reading with my business hat on.

The serious reading in question? Two books I've wanted to read for ages: Craft, Inc. and Second Steps. I've seen them mentioned in so many places and have had so many people recommend them that they were at the top of my wish list when a wonderful friend treated me to an Amazon voucher for Christmas. It's a sad state of affairs, I know, that I'm "treating" myself to business books but though I like to pretend that I have interests outside crafting really I am just kidding myself :)
Thinking of business things, thanks muchly to everyone who commented last week when I asked if anyone would be interested in some thoughts re: setting up an Etsy shop. I will definitely be working on a few posts about this. If nothing else it will be interesting for me to get my thoughts in order about it all, and I do hope some of you will find it a useful read. I'm not sure how long it will take to appear though!

In the meantime, there are many many awesome guides and interviews about selling on Etsy etc floating around in the blogosphere including 2 interviews this week on the Design*Sponge guest blog with vintage sellers Blue Bell Bazaar and White Elephant Vintage plus some "big picture" Etsy lessons from Abigail Vintage. I always love reading about other sellers business experiences and working processes - if you don't read them already, the Quit Your Day Job articles on Etsy are always a good read, a great mix of passion and realism about working hard on something you love. Have you read any other good online business guides or interesting Etsy seller interviews lately? Please do post links in the comments :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the Second Steps book as well - I've only had time to dip into to it so far, but the section on pricing is essential reading.

Unknown said...

Ive read Craft Inc. and its usefull!
For me it was the eye opener for taking myself really serious, and make bigger steps. So that's what I'm preparing now (in my head..).

I'm in The Netherlands and the whole chapter about taxes etc. was not my cup of tea, but that was the only - .

A lot of aha-moments and nice stories about real people, just like on Etsy, that's the best!

Take your time, and don't forget to look outside, how Spring is starting to arrive!
Groeten uit Rotterdam

Wychbury said...

Business Schmusiness - look how pretty that Craft inc. book is! It looks like a treat to me - in fact, it's about time I had a treat too! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I read Craft Inc as well. It's a good read with many usefull tips!

therese said...

I'd love to read your posts on setting up an etsy shop. I've been thinking about it for a long time, but knowing myself too well to just jump into something new and exciting, I'm giving the idea a bit more time to settle :)

Deb said...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crafter-Culture-Handbook-Amy-Spencer/dp/0714531286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235518672&sr=1-1

i found this book on amazon after looking at the craft inc one. its got some good reviews. dx.

Zylo said...

I found the Craft Inc book to be more inspirational than instructional. I'm not sure what you're looking for. However, it was still a good read. I think you'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered Craft Inc. on your recommendation! I can't wait for it to come. :)

Thanks!

Crypt Stitch said...

What did you end up thinking of the books Laura? I'm umming and ahhing about Craft Inc - I have "The Boss of You" which I am working through now, but I think I would like something more craft specific...

Bugs and Fishes said...

I must write a proper follow-up post about these soon! In a nutshell:

Craftinc is a good starter guide for things to think about when setting up a crafty business (with lots of great interviews for inspiration). But there are a lot of great blogs around at the moment offering similar starter guides / advice, and some of the topics didn't seem that relevant to my business model - there seemed to be a lot of talk about outsourcing, for example.

Second steps meanwhile feels very relevant to me as a British designer/maker aiming to make a living making things and goes into a lot of useful everyday detail.